Tuesday, July 1, 2014

June 2014 Update

I haven't posted since February, and a lot has changed. We finally settled on using the attic for my layout, rather than the spare room on the first floor. A little more difficult for people to get to, but in the end it can be a much larger space(16'x40'). Right now only 1/2 the attic is usable, and I have lots of other work to do around the house and the farm, before I start finishing the rest of the attic. I accepted that it could be more than a year before I get to finishing the attic, so I started thinking about a smaller layout. After considering micro layouts, Ingelnooks, and module I settled on a switching layout based on the industrial area around Norfolk St., Mansfield, MA. and came up with an initial track plan.
I was influenced by James McNab's Grimes Line, Lance Mindheim's Downtown Spur, and operating on Don Irace's P&W.

Most of the benchwork and back drops are up, I need to work on some lighting, and then I can start laying track again. It really sucks not having a layout, I'm so happy to be building again.

That's it for this month, thanks for stopping by, hopefully I'll have more updates and pictures in a month.
Mike

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a nice plan. In looking at the google map, not a single railroad freight car on the tracks. Same as many places I've looked up locally. How to you plan to handle that? Do you have a means to identify how the spur was/is worked? I've considered just modeling a local area anyway and free-lancing the operations and rolling stock to suite my desires.

    ReplyDelete